Sunday, September 23, 2007

A day with the bees

Christine and I got to help harvest some honey from a friend's hives this morning. Its a very interesting hobby, and something I'll have to get into as soon as I can. The bees were pretty docile today and nobody got stung. They didn't have a bee suit in my size, so I just risked it with pants and a long sleeve shirt. Our friend estimated we harvested about 35lbs. of honey today. The flavor was outstanding, and there really is nothing like eating honey right off the comb. My job was to keep the smoker lit, lift the honey laden supers, and crank the extractor.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. I love honey, and the thought of 35 lbs of it dripping from the comb, such sweetness in the midst a swarm of buzzing anaphylactogenic drones, is truly mouth-watering. Maybe you can mail me a pound or two of the stuff heheh.